If you want to track an Android phone you will need to have tracking software install on the device, at least that is the case if you don’t have access to the cell phone service provider’s customer database. While law enforcement and similar entities can get access to such records, if a civilian wants to track a phone they will normally need to install tracking software. Once the software is installed it is possible to monitor the whereabouts of the phone, and the person carrying it in real-time, as well as the option to review the GPS logs at a later date.
Android phone trackers use one of three methods to track cell phones; they can track the phone by using data from cell towers (cell tower triangulation), WiFi hotspots that are accessed by the phone, or use the phone’s GPS feature. By and large GPS is the most accurate way of tracking Android phones because they can tell you, to within a few feet, where the phone is located. The cell tower method is less accurate but it is generally more reliable considering the fact that GPS service isn’t always enabled or supported on mobile devices.
How to Track and Android
In order for you to track an Android phone you will need to have access to the phone for 2 to 10 minutes, depending on the tracking software that you purchase; the software vendor will normally provide the installation instructions when you purchase the tracking app. Usually, you will only need to open the phone’s browser and click a link to install the tracker. For those who need to do a quick installation, some tracking software will give you a QR code that you can print off and scan with the phone’s bar code scanner to do the install.
There are tracking software that offer a remote installation via Bluetooth, however the Bluetooth connection verification process requires that the connection be manually accepted, which defeats the objective of covertly installing the tracking app in the first place. Therefore, if you can’t gain access to the phone you want to track don’t bother to purchase tracking software.
Common Features of Android Phone Tracking Software
- Email/Text Messages/SMS Logging – See what messages are being sent and received with the phone
- Recording of Surroundings – Some of the best Android tracking apps will help you to listen to the conversation that are within earshot of the cell phone being monitored.
- Call logging – See who has been called, when they were called and how long the call lasted.
- Picture and Video Logging – See what videos and pictures have been captured and saved to the phone.
- Internet Browsing History – See what websites the phone has been used to visit.
- Contact Checklist – see who is in the list of contacts
- GPS Tracking – Map based GPS tracking and logging
- Location By SMS – You can request the GPS coordinates of the target phone by sending a SMS to the phone, which will cause the phone to respond by sending information on its exact location. Don’t worry the phone’s owner will not see the message or know they are being monitored.
- SIM change notification – Get notified every time the SIM card and what is the number of the new SIM card.
Cell phone tracking solutions now give consumers a cost effective solution to track someone without them knowing it, all you need is the right cell phone tracking software. There are free Android phone trackers, but if you are looking for advanced features, including some that were listed above, you should consider using a solution from Mobistealth or StealthGenie.