If you want to track an Android phone you will need to have tracking software install on the device, at least that is the case if you don’t have access to the cell phone service provider’s customer database. While law enforcement and similar entities can get access to such records, if a civilian wants to track a phone they will normally need to install tracking software. Once the software is installed it is possible to monitor the whereabouts of the phone, and the person carrying it in real-time, as well as the option to review the GPS logs at a later date.
Android phone trackers use one of three methods to track cell phones; they can track the phone by using data from cell towers (cell tower triangulation), WiFi hotspots that are accessed by the phone, or use the phone’s GPS feature. By and large GPS is the most accurate way of tracking Android phones because they can tell you, to within a few feet, where the phone is located. The cell tower method is less accurate but it is generally more reliable considering the fact that GPS service isn’t always enabled or supported on mobile devices.
How to Track and Android
In order for you to track an Android phone you will need to have access to the phone for 2 to 10 minutes, depending on the tracking software that you purchase; the software vendor will normally provide the installation instructions when you purchase the tracking app. Usually, you will only need to open the phone’s browser and click a link to install the tracker. For those who need to do a quick installation, some tracking software will give you a QR code that you can print off and scan with the phone’s bar code scanner to do the install.
There are tracking software that offer a remote installation via Bluetooth, however the Bluetooth connection verification process requires that the connection be manually accepted, which defeats the objective of covertly installing the tracking app in the first place. Therefore, if you can’t gain access to the phone you want to track don’t bother to purchase tracking software.
Common Features of Android Phone Tracking Software
- Email/Text Messages/SMS Logging – See what messages are being sent and received with the phone
- Recording of Surroundings – Some of the best Android tracking apps will help you to listen to the conversation that are within earshot of the cell phone being monitored.
- Call logging – See who has been called, when they were called and how long the call lasted.
- Picture and Video Logging – See what videos and pictures have been captured and saved to the phone.
- Internet Browsing History – See what websites the phone has been used to visit.
- Contact Checklist – see who is in the list of contacts
- GPS Tracking – Map based GPS tracking and logging
- Location By SMS – You can request the GPS coordinates of the target phone by sending a SMS to the phone, which will cause the phone to respond by sending information on its exact location. Don’t worry the phone’s owner will not see the message or know they are being monitored.
- SIM change notification – Get notified every time the SIM card and what is the number of the new SIM card.
Cell phone tracking solutions now give consumers a cost effective solution to track someone without them knowing it, all you need is the right cell phone tracking software. There are free Android phone trackers, but if you are looking for advanced features, including some that were listed above, you should consider using a solution from Mobistealth or StealthGenie.
Family Tracker allows you to monitor someone who is carrying an Android or iOS device. It is a convenient way to see where a spouse, child or fiancée is currently located. In fact, if Family Tracker is installed you can use an Android to track another Android and also an Android to track an iPhone and visa versa.
How it works
Once Family Tracker is installed, on the device you wish to track, you can use Family Tracker’s web interface to see a map based representation of where the iPhone or Android device is located, or you can use the mobile version, that is installed on another phone, to check the other phone’s location whenever you want to. As a bonus, any two devices that have Family Tracker installed can message each other without incurring an additional charge.
Each device on which the tracker is installed has the option to automatically report its location (from every 1 min. to every 1 hour) or can be set to report its location on demand. Whether or not the automatic tracking service is disabled, you can always force the tracked device to report its location at anytime.
To get a current location update of the device you can ping it, which means you will send a tracking notification to the phone or Tablet using the “Stealthy Ping” feature. However, for this feature to work, the targeted device has to have Family Tracker ver. 2.4.4 or above installed. Other notable features include:
- iPhone users can track Android users and vice versa
- No monthly or periodic fees
- You can remotely force updates whether or not the application is running and without the user having to take an action
- The ability to send a “Stealthy Ping”, which will force an automatic location update of the remote device without the person carrying the phone being notified
- Even if the phone is rebooted, Family Tracker will automatically resume tracking and updating its position when the phone is turn back on
- Free texts between devices
- Find your phone when lost or stolen
- Force the device to make a sound even if the phone is on vibrate or silent setting
- Track Android cell phones and iPhones as well from anywhere you can get onto the Internet
- There are no limits to the number of devices that can be tracked
- Tablet compatible – including Motorola Xoom
As usual I was trolling the Android market for great apps when I came across a parental control app that promised to filter malware apps and block access to a list of websites that you’ve decided your kids shouldn’t be viewing. But seriously, are these apps any good at preventing today’s tech savvy kids from accessing online content if they really want to?
With tons of sites out there revealing how to circumvent cell phones security apps, parents and guardians best efforts of trying to protect their children may not be enough to thwart the most determined and tech savvy teenager. In fact, installing parental control software may actually motive some teens to try even harder to hack/bypass the security measures you have setup. Unfortunately, some of these hack attempts may actually make your child’s device more vulnerable.
For example, in order get around parental control software kids may setup proxy servers and open unsecured connections to the Internet, which is a no-no as far are Internet security is concerned; need I say that hackers absolutely love such security holes. However, parents and guardians must do you their best to protect their children from themselves and others.
The range of Android cell phone trackers goes far beyond just mobile spy software, they can in fact help you recover a lost or stolen cell phone, help you discover what your kid’s are using their phones for, or keep an eye on a straying spouse or partner.
Parental Control – One can argue at length, for and against, the right of children to have privacy, to the extent that parents are prevented from looking at what they are using their phones, Tablets and computers for. In any case parents have a responsibility to protect their children against the sexting craze, sexual predators and the influence of deviant peers. Parents can use parental control software to monitor their kid’s cell phone activity (i.e. view SMS and web browsing logs), locate them at a moments notice and take proactive action to protect them against themselves and others.
The notion that parents have to invade a child’s privacy to use parental control software is not true. There are parental control apps that can monitor a child’s cell phone without invading the child’s privacy. Continue reading The Best Android Cell Phone Trackers and What they can Do